Join our Spencer Township community!
In 1823 John P. Marsh, a native of Vermont, became the first settler. He purchased land along the banks of the Black River for $3.00 an acre. Spencer Township is named after Calvin Spencer who was the owner of saw and grist mills in the area. He gave $50 in lumber for a schoolhouse in exchange for naming rights.